Thursday, December 8, 2011

ICE admits year-long seizure of music blog was a mistake

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) [US]

Source & full story at ars:

Now, as first reported by Techdirt, the federal government has tacitly admitted it screwed up in seizing Dajaz1.com. After holding the domain for a year, the government returned the domain to its owner. ICE spokesman Ross Feinstein told Ars that "the government concluded that the appropriate and just result was to decline to pursue judicial forfeiture."

I want to be sure that Gamers & Esports fans are aware of some of these issues, I covered the Team Spooky incident previously & mentioned the terrible way Totalbiscuit has been treated.  Totalbiscuit does a lot for Esports, I am a big fan of his Invitationals, and he does a lot more for Esport activities besides Starcraft 2, though my focus is on SC2.

I want people to be aware of these things so they are motivate to communicate, in a mannered fashion, their concerns and thoughts to politicians.  Since politicians are the ones that make the laws & regulations that lead to these events happening.

This isn't a new concern for me, I worked hard my first two years in college to get politicians to come to campus and talk to students, learned a lot from that experience.  One of the biggest lessons, a real surprise to me, was that local and state politicians were ALWAYS willing to listen & help, even if it was to find the local contact information for other party.

Not saying the would always do what I wanted them to, but they gave a 18-19 year old nerd the same respect and courtesy they would give local business owner.  They actually listened and responded.

The National level politicians were less accommodating.  But I learned that City, County, or State (similar to Districts or Providences in other countries) politicians were always willing to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment