Monday, March 12, 2012

PSA: Social Engineering (Security) NATO & You

I read on ZDNet today, about a Social Engineering attack on NATO using Facebook, that story also referenced this link from The Guardian.

[Edited to add, see also this story on Sony dealing with Hacking problems & Security.]

I cover IT and related security issues from time to time, even though this is a Starcraft 2 blog, because I know IT security is a real issue for anyone that uses computers and the internet.

I have had personal identity information stolen a couple of times already, and I have friends that have had gaming accounts hacked.

Not to mention some professionals in Esports, Mrs. Violence & JP McDaniel to name two that I know for certain that have been hacked.

I felt this was worth mentioning, both as a reminder, but also to make people think.

According to ZDNet "senior British military officers, Defense Ministry officials, and other government officials" were fooled by this attack.

All of those people receive some training in the basics of information security, controlling access to information that is not just IT, yet they fell victim to this attack.

Makes me think that not only do people need to learn more about security, they also need to practice good security habits more often.

If your interested in learning more about IT Security click Security or Hacking, those Labels can also be found at left side of Blog in the Label Cloud.

Check Six,

Cliff

No comments:

Post a Comment