Monday, August 1, 2011

MLG Anaheim replays

MLG says they won't release them, their statement here, I have very strong doubts about the factual basis of their statement.

Plenty of players and events release replay packs, so I suspect real answer is something else.

Probably money.

I note they are not offering replays with memberships either, or at least they are not mentioning them on their website, I was going to get a membership till I realized it was auto renew with no opt out. 

I would have been willing to pay more for one time fee to have MLG Anaheim only video pass, especially if I could watch replays.

I am getting to the point that even the best casters just can't do good enough job covering game for me to LEARN from them.  They can only cover one spot of the map at a time, and they haven't worked replays into esports yet like they do NFL (American) Football to be sure fans watching get to see important or exciting replay.

Please note, I am not knocking the casters.  When I watch good replays, I often will go over certain parts 2-4 times frequently to figure out exactly what happened, I want to see what each player was actually looking at during each moment, what Production tab shows, what the upgrades where for various units.  Also what income is at, what they are spending money on, etc.

Sometimes when there is something new, or new to me I may go over one little slice of time in the game many many times to determine all I possibly can.

But then like Day9 & Spanishiwa, among I suspect many other SC2 players and fans, I came to SC2 from competitive Chess background.  Analyzing games is something I have lot of practice with, one of the very cool to me things about SC2 over Chess is games are recorded as video, not notes of describing every piece being moved, so I can focus on what happened and why.  I don't have to keep looking at the recorded moves and move the pieces on a board to see everything.  Note to hardcore chess players, yes I know many really good chess players can see the image looking at the notation but I have never been able to get the visual and verbal parts of my brain to connect internally like that.

I am real disappointed with the no replay being released from MLG, I think that is totally wrong move for SC2.

If there is a legitimate DOS [Denial of Service] issue why can't they work with Bllizard or some experts to find a way around that issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment