Friday, February 24, 2012

PSA: Facebook, Your Data, the Government, & More

Forbes, just released an online story about Facebook's Chief Security Officer, I recommend everyone that uses social media to read the story, it reveals a lot of information about how Facebook handles Data Privacy and related topics like cyber crime.

[If this leaves you looking for more you can read Computerworld's "Facebook settles FTC privacy complaints" and PC World's "Facebook Commits to Changes Following Critical Irish Audit" details of the Irish audit: Report of Data Protection Audit of Facebook Ireland.  But this Blog post is about the Forbes article.]

You will probably find some things that surprise you, like how many people working at Facebook just deal with law enforcement requests for information.

Or the Security Bug Bounty, where you can make money as an  Ethical or White Hat Hacker.

One thing I learned that maybe I heard, but if so it didn't stay in my memory, was that Facebook partnered with Sophos to take down some Russian cyber criminals.

I follow the Sophos Naked Security Blog, one of the best IT Security blogs out there.

I usually run into a few people every month in the Starcraft 2 community, that are surprised that I am not on Facebook at all, usually they are not aware of these issues.

When I read the Forbes article, I felt that they provided a very good overview of Data Privacy as it pertains to Facebook.

Thought there was a slight, but clear bias for Facebook in the Forbes article (ie they are painted as "good guys" and no mention is made of the Irish Audit, I think Forbes has done a much better job of explaining the Data Privacy risks of Facebook,  than I have ever done.

So I encourage everyone to read it, and please note:  I am NOT saying you should not use Facebook, I am saying that you should do so with a clear idea of what that means for anything and everything you put on Facebook.

Forewarned is Forearmed 

You may also find Nerd News: Post SOPA, EU vs USA Internet Freedom & Rights worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment