Sometimes no security patch or updates will be issued, or they may not be released for months [Cough Mac, Flash, Cough].
Sometimes there are technical reasons for those delays, and sometimes other reasons, doesn't really matter to us, still have to deal with the problem.
I follow several blogs & podcasts to stay on top of issues.
One of my favorites, a weekly podcast, is the Security Now podcast I have mentioned before, I am not a hard core computer nerd, but this podcast provides good enough explanations of security issues, without dumbing down, that I can keep improving my knowledge base on the topic.
For daily, or as it happens, updates I follow several blogs, here is a partial list, I would welcome suggestions for more to follow,
- http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security (Often has more detail than other daily feeds)
- http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/ (Fast News)
- http://www.schneier.com/ (Cryto Expert)
- http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/ (Broader coverage)
- http://mac-security.blogspot.com/ (Mac focused)
- https://securosis.com/ (I like their Motto: No Bull Research)