Thursday, January 17, 2013

Security & Hacking: "Loan agency loses data on 583K Canadian students"

http://www.scmagazine.com.au/News/329135,loan-agency-loses-data-on-583k-canadian-students.aspx

Ironic tidbit, "The loss was discovered during the investigation of the disappearance of a USB key containing the personal information of another 5000 Canadians."

Sigh.

Some years ago, similar thing happened to me personally, bunch of computers were stolen from company that the bank for one of my school loans used for billing.

Bank didn't notify any of us with student loans, and those Hackers sent out a lot of snail mail forms trying to get signatures.

I was lucky, I was stubborn enough that I ignored the bogus form, thought I didn't know what was going on at the time.

The form they sent didn't match anything current, and I was a broke college grad at the time, so I noticed the details about $'s and such didn't make any sense on the form, so I just ignored it.

Learned later about the stolen computers & HDD's and then knew what had happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment