Friday, September 23, 2011

Starcraft 2 Patch 1.4 thoughts & comments

Official Blizzard post http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/3565234

Teamliquid thread

Up front, so you know my perspective, I play Protoss, Zerg is my off race, but that may well change in the future.

Really thinking about switching to Zerg, I think they are actually the strongest of the three races for skilled players.  When I say skilled, I don't mean micro monsters, Zerg can tech switch harder and faster than the other races.  Plus they have the most mobility, totally ignoring Speedlings and Mutas which happen to be among the two fastest units in the game, with every Overlord being a transport with upgrade, and Nydus providing instant movement across the map, I suspect Zerg will eventually face some hard nerfs to balance them once people actually realize the true strength of Zerg.  You just can't 1A with them, that is were the skill and knowledge of the game comes into play.

Proplayers that I follow are Catz (Z), Kiwkiaki (P), WhiteRa (P), Grubby (P), GoOdy (T), & to a lesser extent Destiny (Z) & Minigun (P mainly but he dabbles with Z).  [Check right side of my blog for links to these players streams, and repays.  I add more content there every month.]

Protoss

I really like the buff to Warp Prism, I don't think it was needed, but I will certainly use it, I don't think 2 base Colossus will be a long term viable build in SC2.  Colossus NEED support units, and ideally +2 or +3 attack upgrades.  That takes time and gas.

Warp Prism lets you use all mineral units for backstabbing and pinning attacks/harassment to safely transition into Colossus off  of 3 or 4 base.  Zealot drops on mineral lines, even with slow lots, are very effective at pinning and backstabbing.  Three or four non microed zealots seem to maul any number of non microed workers, 1 or 2 lots seem to die to 1A by enough workers.

WhiteRa has been know for using Warp Prism harassment that way, he also as a SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) will send one Zealot into closest enemy base right at the beginning of a fight.  One zealot usually won't matter for the fight past early stages of the game.  But one Zealot can kill a lot of workers during the time of the battle.

I believe the Warp was already the fasted Transport unit in the game with the speed upgrade, now in some ways it is the toughest.

Since the patch I have seen WhiteRa use Stalker + Warp Prism micro to snipe Overlords all over the map and totally deny map control to Zerg opponent for much of the middle game.

Terran

I don't have much to say about Terran, I don't play them at all, I think Thors might be most useful massive unit in the game.  But I am not sure about that, but I know that neither Thors and Battlecruisers seem to need support units when they first appear in the game.  Unlike Broodlords or Colossus.

Zerg
I don't agree with the Infestor nerf.  Though a range reduction is better than what they were originally planning with making Massive units immune.

I do like Blizzard's comments and Buff to Overseer, should help a lot with scouting, specially if players use Changlings more like Blizzard wants.

Also has anyone ever seen David Kim's pet Baneling?

No comments:

Post a Comment