Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Nerd News: "Top EU court upholds right to resell downloaded software"

Some really big news IMO http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/top-eu-court-upholds-right-to-resell-downloaded-software/

Maybe this is the start of a more reasonable balance between current situation, and consumer rights?

What do you think?

I know if us followed suit on this, it would probably change my buying habits.

I don't spend much money on software, including games, for various reasons.

I do buy the best hardware for my needs as I can afford, but I have to be careful with how many games I let myself have, because it is to easy for games to take over my life, so I get nothing else done.

Additionally, for software in general and games in particular, I don't like spending a big chunk of money on something that I will only use for a few weeks.

I do put a lot of money into books, but if I spend $25-30 on a book, I know that 5 or 10 years later I can read it again no problem, or if I know I won't want to read it again I can sell or trade it for another book.

With computer games, or other software, after 5 or 10 years, I might not be able to play the game at all, or if I can I will need additional software to let me run it, usually with bugs and crashes, on modern computer and OS.


No comments:

Post a Comment