Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Windows Phone 8 T-mobile & Lumia Black update on Lumia 521



If you haven't heard, Lumia has new update/upgrade for all Lumia Windows Phone 8 (WP8 for short) devices getting rolled out.

It is called Lumia Black, official link http://www.nokia.com/global/windows-phone-black-update/.

Yesterday it became available for Lumia 521, which is the T-mobile specif version of the Lumia 520.

WP8 devices revice both OS updates from Microsoft, and firmware updates from device manufacture.  Lumia Black is a firmware update.

Today I updated my Lumia 521, it took about 3 minutes for download on my WiFi, but 5+ minutes for install prep stage.

Then several minutes for reboot & final installation, sorry I didn't get more precise times dealing with IRL issues.

First call I made, using WiFi calling,phone did random reboot!

Made me laugh pretty hard, but random reboot are pretty common with this device.  At least weekly, often more frequent than that.

Call was made & worked fine after reboot.

Internet browsing seems a little snappier than prior to Lumia Black update.

Native Podcast app seems to be working fine.

If anyone has any questions, leave a comment & I'll do my best to answer.

Nearing end of my year long use of Lumia 521, to better learn the major phone OS I am planning to switch to Android later this year, already had lot of experience with Blackberry (old Pearl & newer Bold).

Have almost year of experience with iOS on a 5th generation iPod Touch, plus I provide tech support for my girlfriend who has been using an iPhone 5s since Fall 2013.

Lumia Black:

Lumia 521 & 520 specs:

General WP8 Resources:

No comments:

Post a Comment